Thursday, April 8, 2010

They have taken my....

Good News Reflection
Tuesday in the Octave of Easter
April 6, 2010

Today's Readings:
Acts 2:36-41
Ps 33:4-5, 18-20, 22
John 20:11-18
http://www.usccb.org/nab/040610.shtml
USCCB Podcast of the Readings:
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/10_04_06.mp3

They have taken my....

Let's put ourselves into the sandals of Mary Magdalene, the woman at the tomb in today's Gospel reading. We know how she feels. We too have wept because we couldn't find Jesus. For example:

They have taken my job, my income, and I don't know where Jesus is – where is his help?

My health is gone, and I don't know why God hasn't healed me. Where is he when I need him most?

The Lord has taken my husband (or my wife) and I'm so lonely. Why did God leave me alone?

Someone has gossiped against me and stolen my good reputation. Where was God to defend me?

That jerk has taken away my joy and I am miserable. Where is Jesus and the joy of the Lord?

The world has taken my children away from the faith. Why isn't God revealing himself to them in a way that convinces them to come back to church?

They have taken away my rights. Where is the God who gave me those rights?

I am hurting so badly! Will Jesus never rescue me from this? WHERE IS HE?

In the resurrection account described by John, Mary only needed to hear Jesus call her by name and she recognized that he was standing in front of her. How is Jesus calling out to you? The answer is requires us to look beyond ourselves.

We are a post-Pentecost people, which means that he is calling you into ministry. Only after we recognize his call to ministry are we able to see what Jesus has been doing right there in front of us. We are healed of our pain, misery and loneliness not by sitting on our couches and complaining, but by DOing something with our pain that helps others heal. (This seems to be a secret that too little people know, but it should be a normal part of Christian living.)

In Matthew's account (see Matt. 28:1-10), the women were fearful until an angel said, "Don't be afraid!" and Jesus repeated the message. Fear keeps us from seeing Jesus and from realizing the plan of redemption that God's trying to reveal to us. Like he did for Jesus, the Father wants to redeem our crosses and destructions by transforming them into new lives that will reveal Jesus to others.

In Luke's account (see Luke 24:1-8), angels said to the women, "Why do you seek the living one among the dead?" We fail to see Jesus whenever we focus on what's going wrong. Only when we stop clinging to our limited and self-centered perceptions can we notice that God is leading us into a victorious future.

Listen! Jesus is calling your name. Your resurrection has already begun!

© 2010 by Terry A. Modica
This work is NOT in Public Domain and may NOT be copied without permission.
You may print one copy for your own personal use.
For PERMISSION and info on how to copy this reflection for sharing, see:
http://gogoodnews.net/DailyReflections/copyrights-DR.htm

Seeking a past reflection?
Click this button to register for the searchable Archive Library of the Good News Reflections. One week access is free as a special gift to subscribers of these emailed reflections.

WAS THIS FORWARDED TO YOU BY A FRIEND?
To sign up for your own subscription, go to:
http://gogoodnews.net/DailyReflections


Why do I need you as a partner in my daily ministry?
Please help with a donation, including non-financial support. Good News Ministries affects countless lives around the world, including in countries where people have no Catholic Mass and where Christianity is persecuted. continue...

Join the cause on facebook and help spread the message!

Note: Good News Ministries is a non-profit organization that accepts donations as support for its ministries but does not charge for anything. Catholic Digital Resources™ is Terry Modica's publishing house providing professional writing services; the income from this will eventually support the future growth and projects of Good News Ministries. Please spread the word; tell your DRE, RCIA Director, pastor, etc. about what's available for parishes at Catholic Digital Resources™.

______________________________________________________________
This is the "Good News Reflections - American Edition" mailing list.
MANAGE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION:
Change your address
Unsubscribe

No comments:

Post a Comment

To subscribe for your own copy of Good News Reflections "by Terry Modica of "Good News Ministries" just follow the link http://gogoodnews.net/DailyReflections